We have missed so many VAC flyins this year we
were very pleased to see the long range weather forecast on Monday 10th giving
excellent weather for the following Saturday. But we forgot about the
Saturday came and the visibility was awful as
we drove down the Hogsback. It will get better before we get to the
airfield I, the ever optimist informed Martin. Having taken off it was
clear I should have crossed my toes as well as my fingers the visibility was not
good. However we gave it a go. Martin had plotted the heading the
evening before so we set off. Even finding our usual sightings of Newbury
and Didcot Power Station was difficult. Still we headed North as that
morning we were reliably informed the best weather in the country was in the
Midlands and East Anglia, or so the man on the radio said!
We passed Turweston and at Silverstone changed
our heading to go across to Fenland, but it was soon obvious this was not a good
idea, so we headed back to Turweston for lunch and see if things improved.
A quick telephone call to Fenland after lunch informed us the sun was out there
but visibility was still not good. Our friends in the Tiger Moth from
White Waltham had contacted us to say they had turned back and were safely on
the ground at White Waltham, although there were times when they thought they
might have to land elsewhere.
We took off from Turweston informing the Tower
we were making our second attempt to fly to Fenland, but before too long we
radioed back saying no we were heading for home. We got back just before
the rain started.