Welcome to the Worldwide Greathead family my One-Name Study - Australia and Australian Ancestors

This page will be updated with further details about those who travelled to Australia and how they got there. If YOU know any information that would help me do let me know

Alfred Douglas Greathead and his wife Louisa emigrated with their children to Adelaide in Australia in 1963

Joseph James Greathead and and his wife Sarah emigrated with their four youngest children, Alfred, Emma, Eliza and Edward leaving the London Docks on 12 April 1853 and arriving on 6 August 1853 in Australia on "Diana." Joseph acted as the ships doctor, he was a chemist, and also a Methodist minister. Joseph produced a handwritten diary of the journey from Shadwell Basin, off the Thames to Australia

Thomas Greathead and his wife Martha sailed from London 27 December 1856 aboard SS Fontre arriving Cape Town 27 March 1857. They travelled to Riversdale, Cape by ox-wagon in September 1859, where Thomas opened a school on the 1 October 1859. They moved to D'Urban, Natal, in 1856 in SS "Admiral"; and was living in "Hope Cottage", Pinetown, in1860, where he opened Cheltenham House School, Pinetown. He then went to Clarendon, Pietermaritzburg where he opened Karkloof College, Fort Nottingham and Caversham Schools. He was a keen Astronomer.

Astle James Thomas Greathead  was a postman living with his father in Wootten Bassett in 1871. He died in Queensland in 1887. I do not know when or how he got there. Do you?

Harry Greathead left London aboard SS Osterley on 16 February 1912 for Brisbane, Australia. He was described as a machinist. His wife and two daughters followed him in October that year

Raymond Greathead and his wife Margaret went to live in Australia. He died in 2009 in New South Wales, Australia

Robert Greathead I believe emigrated to Australia and then sent for his nephews Robert and George. Robert and his son George used to make a tonic called Greatheads mixture that was sold in Australia as a cure for fevers of all kinds. George was a herbalist.

Silas Greathead left Liverpool on 31 October 1929 aboard the steamship Bendigo. He arrived in Sydney on 2 December 1929. He gave his last address as 4b Spills Meadow Upper Gornal, Dudley, Staffordshire. Silas was listed as being 46 years old and a bricklayer. Margaret his future wife, was on the same boat. Whether they knew each other before the trip is unclear Margaret was described as having home duties aged 21