Flying with Martin

in our Vintage Cessna 170B

Contact us on or




Story of HW and AY

VAC Fly-ins 

Devon Strut

Model planes



21 July 2006 - Farnborough airshow
Farnborouh airshow takes place every two years and we have attempted to attend every one since we met.  We reviewed the flying displays and with our other commitments decided we could go on the Friday of trade week.
We parked in the official car park and jumped on the free bus to the show.  The weather was promising to be unbearably hot so we took collapsible chairs and large umbrellas.  We looked around all five halls, Martin looking at stands and talking with some of the people who were available.  I just attempted to not pass out in the heat, and to carry the supply of informational leaflets we were collecting.
By 12:30 I think we were done with the halls, certainly I was needing a sit down, so we headed to the area when we could sit and see the display that was due to commence at 1:30pm.  We bought a pasty followed by an ice-cream for lunch and drank the first of many bottles of water.  Although we did see a couple of free drinking water bowsers but both were too far away from us to use, so we bought bottles of water throughout the afternoon.  Many times during the afternoon warnings were given about the heat and the need to drink.  One lady fainted near us but was very soon being looked after by a paramedic who was riding around the site on his bicycle.  What a good idea, he was able to get to her far quicker than any ambulance.
The airshow started with the Airbus 340 and Airbus 380 performing some amazing flying, followed by the Red Devils parachute display team
Later the Bell/Boeing V-22 Osprey performed for the public
Our eardrums were tested by the Tornado, Falcon and other such planes, and we were rewarded by the site of the Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster of the British Memorial fight arriving slowly for their flypast.  A Tornado and Harrier followed, but the Spitfire display was cancelled. The Red Arrows then performed their amazing display filling the sky with red white and blue smoke. 
The display was then announced as closed at 5pm so we bought one more bottle of water and decided to let the "rush" go first.  This turned out to be an excellent idea as we were rewarded with all three of the BBMF planes taking off and have fun in the air.  Caroline Grace took her Spitfire from the static display and taxied it to the hangers.  We watched planes take off and land and finally walked back slowly to the coach depot to return to our car and home. We were very grateful we had taken our umbrellas and were not beetroot red like so many other spectators.  We had a great but exhausting day.  Look forward to 2008.